Yea, this is the key by which miracles are wrought. And behold, this is also
the power by which we can all be made one people.
The Mentinah Archives Volume One thru Nine (As of Jan. 12, 2011)
7. Now, faith is more than belief. It is that power which moves upon the deep and causes it to come together and perform the will of the Father. It was through the exercise of faith that the very matter of the universe was created. This matter we all have in common. Wherefore, when that same faith is exercised, it is recognized by that matter. This is why one may be moved upon by the Spirit to 281 do a certain thing, and if one is obedient to that commandment, a miracle takes place. Is it done by the faithfulness of the individual? I say unto you, Nay. Or is it done by the power that resides in the individual? Not at all. The miracle takes place because the substance is moved upon by that same power by which it was brought into being in the first instance.
8. Here is a mystery that I shall reveal unto you. There is no particle of matter, or anything with which we have to do, that is wasted. It may be used in this generation by you and I, and it may make up our bodies, and the things around us. And yet, when we lay this mortal down, do you suppose that the matter which was loaned to us for a time, is no longer utilized in the creation? Do you suppose that because the likes of you and I touched a thing that it must remain as we touched it forever?
9. Behold, I say unto you, This is vanity. For, there is nothing that is made that is wasted simply because it is utilized once by man or any other created thing. When we lay this material by, it returns unto the earth and is used again in the ongoing creation. Wherefore, all matter that exists today has made a journey through many mortal bodies. Yea, a journey that binds us all together.
10. Yea, this physical body which I possess today is made up of matter that has passed through countless generations of creations just like me. And when I exercise faith, every particle remembers the day when the Creator first so exercised His will upon the deep. And behold, recognizing that same exercise, in His name, and in connection with His will, the very elements respond in accordance with the decrees received in that day by His own voice.
11. Wherefore, never think that by your faith you bring about miracles in Jesus‟ name. This is too much to ask. Never so puff yourselves. You may say that by your faith the matter in you, responding to imperatives it received in the first day of creation, is quickened by the Spirit and, working together for your good, a miracle takes place. Yea, you would not be caught up in the pride of your heart if you so speak. For the same is very true. Miracles follow them that believe and are an effect of the believing, and the acting in faith.
12. Yea, this is the key by which miracles are wrought. And behold, this is also the power by which we can all be made one people. For, are we not made of the same stuff? Wherefore, esteem not yourselves higher than anything created. For, you cannot be esteemed so, being made of the same stuff. Yea, the earth and rocks are living, and your body contains nothing not found in them. And the plants are living, and your body contains nothing not found in them. And the animals are living, and your body contains nothing not found in them. Yea, look at the sky and take in the good air. Do not think that there is ought in your body different than what is in that good air. And look into the night sky and find 282 something in your body that is not found in the stars, the moon and the sun. Nay, you cannot. For, we are all made of the same stuff. Yea, we are all relations. Wherefore, marvel not that miracles follow them that believe, unless you believe that the creation was not a miracle.
13. And I know that you think no such thing. For your faith is an ensample to all people, and the miracles that other peoples marvel at, for they happen but once in a while, are common place among the Nemenhah. Wherefore, I know that you are accustomed to miracles in your lives. But it is still good that you should understand the workings of faith as they apply to the matter which makes up the creation.
14. And behold, this is the very power by which the miracle has come upon me and upon my brethren which allows us to tarry and to be of some usefulness to the Lord, even unto the day of His coming in power and glory to finish His work. Yea, it is by this working of the matter unto miracles that we are translated. For, it is true that we will not taste of death until He comes. And even then, we shall be changed in a twinkling of an eye, so that we will not taste of death in the way of other men. But, I say unto you, It is because of the workings of faith upon the matter of our creation that we live from day to day. And it is because of this substance that we are renewed each day.
15. And there are but few in the history of mankind that have received of this blessing. The first was Enoch, that prophet of old. And he was translated with his whole people. And what great faith did they exercise that caused the matter of their bodies to renew itself each day? And how was this great miracle accomplished? Behold, they did live all things in common, even as you do. But that is not all. They did also seek the face of their Creator continually, and they did rely every day upon the revelation of God to guide them. Yea, they did live in the Spirit at all times and in all seasons. And behold, the Lord took the whole city into His presence.
16. As also John, the beloved apostle of Christ, even that apostle who leaned upon His breast, and was beloved of Him, so changed that he shall not die by the shaft of death, but is renewed each day. And in the end, when he has accomplished all that the Lord shall command him to do, he too shall be changed. Yea, his corruptible that has been put aside for a season, shall he take back up again, but he shall not suffer death as do other men. Rather, that which he takes back up shall be quickly changed, his corruptible into incorruptible.
17. Now, is not this a miracle? That a man or woman may live and be renewed each day? For it is true that all men will die by the shaft of death. Yea, even for me and for my brethren, we shall taste of death when the Lord sees in His wisdom that our work is done. Yea, in that moment we too shall die, but we will 283 be changed in the twinkling of an eye. But unto some it is given to live long in the grace of God, and be not cut down by the destroying Angel to the same degree as others. Yea, unto some, because of their faith, is given the renewing of their bodies.
18. And this blessing and gift is available to all the saints who wish it. But, I say unto you, There are many miracles and gifts of the Spirit to which it would be better for you to aspire. For behold, in many ways, the miracle of the translation of the body is a very great burden. Yea, it is a great burden to them who receive it. It comforts me to know that only they whom the Lord chooses for this calling will receive the miracle.
19. But behold, all other gifts, though they also be burdensome, are not so burdensome as the power given unto me and my brethren. But pray for the gifts befitting your callings and your stewardships. Yea, be humble before the Lord, and beseech Him to bless you with all things that you can bear. For, He knows your capacity and will bless you abundantly.
20. But it is a needful thing for the saints to understand that in the moment they act in faith, and a miracle takes place, it is not by any power or ability in them that the miracle is performed. Yea, it is the movement of faith upon the matter which makes up all creation. All things work together for the good of them who exercise great faith.
21. For again, all matter remembers the first day of its creation, and the day in which it was brought into being and quickened. And when that faith is exercised, the matter does bend itself to the fulfillment of all that the Lord does command of it. And that knowledge that is instilled into all matter in the moment great faith is exercised is sealed upon the matter by the Holy Ghost. Wherefore, the matter cannot deny it, for the knowledge becomes part of its own creation. It is because of this truth that all things work for the good of them that exercise great faith.
22. For, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. If it is substance, then it is commanded in its actions just as all matter in creation is commanded. Now, all things that are created exercise faith sufficient to fulfill the measure of their creation, except man. Yea, consider the birds, the trees, indeed all living things and discern which of them makes a law unto itself. Nay, they do all that they are commanded to do. Wherefore, even the grain of mustard, though it be the smallest of seeds, becomes a tree sufficient for the birds to nest in. Is this not great faith? I say unto you, It is faith that could move mountains.
23. But unto man is given freedom to choose. Because of this liberty, we are free to choose not to fulfill the full measure of our creation, for there is much evil in the world. And because of this freedom, there is suffering. For, with choice 284 comes action, and all action causes consequences. Wherefore, when we act upon matter, it is moved to and fro. But matter is not static. When it is moved out of its place, it in turn moves other matter out of its place. And that matter is made to move and cause other matter to move. But the universe is one eternal round and all movement returns unto its own. Wherefore, there is a law in the universe that restores all things into a state of stability and equilibrium.
24. Now, when movement takes place, or in other words, when there is an action in one direction, either for good or evil, all matter is made to move in that direction until it returns again to a state of equilibrium. This is according to the commandment given unto matter.
25. Wherefore, if a man chooses to do evil, the matter does not end with the choice and the action. Do you see how any action creates in its own sphere a disturbance in the universe? This disturbance continues beyond the actions of that one decision. Yea, it continues outward and affects all things created. And behold, when it returns again, it may have been magnified into a much greater evil.
26. Who among you has not seen this magnification? Look unto the Nephites of the Land Southward and the great evil that became of just a few men and their evil acts. Yea, the whole face of the land was laid waste, most especially in the northern most reaches of the Land Southward. Yea, there is not one place in that part of the land that has not been altered. Let this remind you of the consequences of your actions at all times.
27. And behold, the same applies when a man chooses to do good, for the same law operates in the case of good as it does in the case of evil. What you apply in this universe, be it good or evil, returns unto you. And if evil is multiplied in the application of the universal law, so then is good. Let your actions for good go out into the cosmos and return unto you so magnified that not one particle of your matter is left unaltered.
28. Now, this law has greatest effect when the motion caused is greatest. Wherefore, the Lord has commanded all of His children to seek an understanding of the Law of Sacrifice. For, it is by and through this law that the most significant change is made upon the matter of mortal man.
29. Yea, for with all sacrifice comes a crying out of the soul. And this crying out, or distress of the soul, causes the greatest movement of the spiritual matter of the universe. But this matter exercises faith according to that universal law of which we have spoken. Now, when this matter returns, it seeks faith with which to cause equilibrium. And behold, all matter is imbued with this intelligence. If it returns to the point of sorrow and finds there sorrow still, it will use that faith to 285 return unto its own and the consequence will be more sorrow and greater. For this cause does suffering bring about greater suffering if left unmodified.
30. But behold, if the matter returns and finds in the place of suffering great acts and utterances of faith, this is that which it utilizes to bring about equilibrium. This faith is magnified and edified such that great miracles take place. Wherefore are we commanded to sacrifice, that through our suffering, a better creation comes into being.
31. For this cause is the purification of the Ammonites recommended unto you. Yea, and for this cause was it so highly favored and justified of the Lord. Which of you, having placed yourself in the suffering of this purification, can say that you returned from it without a miraculous intervention?
32. It is for this cause also that fasting, study, meditation and prayer are so highly recommended unto you. In fasting a soul suffering is caused. That soul cry moves upon the matter of your body, indeed of your whole soul, as also the matter surrounding you. This matter moves ever outward and affects all matter. But behold, do not think that the matter will move away from you continually, for the universe cannot be described as an ever expanding line, but as a sphere. Nay, that movement will return to you. But when it returns, it will do so seeking faith with which to create an equilibrium. The matter is satisfied in this search when it encounters your study, meditation and prayer. Upon these acts and utterances of faith is all its magnified movement bent, and out of it comes wonders, signs and miracles.
33. For this cause has it been said that signs follow them that believe. Yea, wonders, signs and miracles are the natural consequence of doing good continually. For behold, there is much temptation to move always within the nature of man and this natural man moves always to satisfy his own lusts. But when the natural man is put away, and when it becomes natural to do good continually, then does the cycle change and then do wonders occur.
34. Do you marvel that the Lord requires certain sacrifices at your hands? Yea, He requires a broken heart and a contrite spirit. This is the acceptable sacrifice unto Him. Wherefore, the broken heart is the soul suffering cry which moves upon the universe in a most powerful way. This is the cry which issued out of even the great Christ in the moment He undertook to make a suffering for all living. Yea, in that moment of greatest suffering, even He cried out that the cup might be taken from Him.
35. But behold, His spirit was contrite. For, did He not also say: Nevertheless, not my will be done. Yea, His soul suffering caused the greatest movement of matter since the world was created. And the elements obeyed His will then, even as they do now, even as they always will obey His voice. But, in accordance with 286 that great law wherewith He did command it in the beginning, all matter does move outward upon the world, and does return again to the origin of its movement. And when it did return, the moving, expanding, magnifying matter found the greatest act and utterance of faith since its own creation.
36. Behold, I say unto you, The sign that followed, and the wonder, is the atonement of all the lives. How great a miracle occurred that day not many of us may discern. But a great change came over the world in that instant. For, at that moment, He took upon Himself all things. Yea, in that moment, we became sealed unto Him with all matter, if we but choose to follow Him.
37. Now, it stands outside of all question that our soul cry is ever less potent than His was at that moment. But, this understanding does not signify that our suffering does not affect the universe in the same way, albeit to lesser degree. For this cause, He does command us to obey the Law of Sacrifice. For, by living that law, we do avail ourselves of the great power of faith to create the substance of miracles.
38. Wherefore, obedience to the commandments of the Lord does sometimes bring about hardship. For, He would have a tested and a tried people. Yea, the Lord has sometimes sorely tested whole nations in this manner. For such hardship brings about a certain measure of this soul suffering, albeit by compulsion. And they, who respond to this hardship with renewed faith, bring upon the nation, so tested and so tried, the blessings of heaven.
39. Yea, Hagoth, your father, when he came away from the land of his inheritance into the Land Northward, did he not sacrifice all he had and all that he knew to come into a wilderness of uncertainty and suffering? But, being moved upon by the Spirit to take up such suffering, he did as he was commanded. Now, who of you can look upon this city and this Temple, and declare that the consequences to him and his people were not miraculous? And who can compare the great turmoil in the Land Southward, indeed, the entire destruction of everything there, to the blessed state of the Nemenhah when the Lord visited you here in the fastness of the mountains? Nay, you need not look far to witness the application of these laws.